Scavenger bird species which breeds on mountain cliffs
It usually is 80–103 cm long and has a wing span of 6.4 to 7.8 ft. It weighs 5.5–6.3 kg. The species breeds mainly on naturally made holes of tall cliffs. Like other vultures it is a scavenger, feeds on carcasses of dead animals. They clean our environment by feeding on dead animals and protect us by spreading of deadly diseases and bad odor. The Indian vulture species have suffered a 99%–97% population decrease in past two decades due to veterinary drug diclofenac. Diclofenac causes kidney failure in several species of vultures. In March 2006 the Indian Government announced its support for a ban on the veterinary use of diclofenac.
How to Explore
Seen soaring high near nesting sites and around dead carcasses.
Recommended Time & Duration
Resident bird in Nashik. Winter is the breeding time, one can see them around their nesting sites.
Rules To Follow
Treat them as our friends as they clean our environment. Keep safe distance from nesting sites and feeding sites.
Travel & Stay Partner
- No match found for the search
- Nashik, Maharashtra, India (229 hotels)
- Mumbai Nasik Expressway, Igatpuri, India (20 hotels)
- Nasik Road, Saputara, India (2 hotels)
- Manas Resort with Petting Zoo, Igatpuri
- Aakar Lords Inn, Saputara
- Mystic Valley Resort, Igatpuri
- Manas Lifestyle Resort, Igatpuri
- Hotel Lake View, Saputara
- Rainforest Resort, Igatpuri
- Bodh Valley Resort, Igatpuri
- Hotel Ashwin, Igatpuri
- Shagun Resort & Water Park, Igatpuri
- 1 India Resorts, Igatpuri
- Hotel Comfort Inn, Igatpuri
- Igatpuri Tents, Igatpuri
- 2BHK Premium villa At Dew Drops Igatpuri (10 Persons) (3), Igatpuri