The shikra is considered to be the commonest small hawk of dry woodland and savanna in Africa and India. This forceful, surprise attack is usually sufficient to catch the lizards and small birds on which the shikra feeds, although on rare occasions it may engage in aerial pursuits. Other prey taken by this species include nestlings, eggs, bats, rodents, frogs and insects.
How To Explore
The shikra inhabits a variety of wooded habitats, including deciduous closed-canopy woodland, savanna, small plantations of exotic trees, and urban parks and gardens.
Recommended Time & Duration
Resident bird, seen all round the year.
Travel & Stay Partner
- No match found for the search
- Nashik, Maharashtra, India (229 hotels)
- Mumbai Nasik Expressway, Igatpuri, India (20 hotels)
- Nasik Road, Saputara, India (2 hotels)
- Manas Resort with Petting Zoo, Igatpuri
- Aakar Lords Inn, Saputara
- Mystic Valley Resort, Igatpuri
- Manas Lifestyle Resort, Igatpuri
- Hotel Lake View, Saputara
- Rainforest Resort, Igatpuri
- Bodh Valley Resort, Igatpuri
- Hotel Ashwin, Igatpuri
- Shagun Resort & Water Park, Igatpuri
- 1 India Resorts, Igatpuri
- Hotel Comfort Inn, Igatpuri
- Igatpuri Tents, Igatpuri
- 2BHK Premium villa At Dew Drops Igatpuri (10 Persons) (3), Igatpuri